Nominees announced for Sask Sport Inc. April Athlete of the Month
The following athletes have been nominated for the Sask Sport Inc. April Athlete of the Month Award:
- Master Women's Curling Team. Headed by skip Lenore (Lee) Morrison, the team won the 2009 Dundee Canadian Master Women's Curling Championship. Competing at the National level, they won the provincial Master Women's title, which earned them the right to represent Saskatchewan at the nationals. They also won the Canadian Master Women's title. The rest of the team includes Bernice Van Der Velden (Third), Peggy Hergott (Second), and Marg Griffiths (Lead). The team was nominated by the Saskatchewan Curling Association.
- Danette Doetzel, 23, Macklin. At the prestigious Mt. Sac Relays in Walnut, California, Doetzel competed in the Women's 5000 meter event, with a time of 15:46:76 which beat her previous record set in June 2005 and broke both the Saskatchewan Athletics Senior and Open records. She finished in 8th place which ranks her 5th in the NCAA Division I performance list for women. She is qualified to compete at the NCAA Regional Championships in North Carolina A&T State University in May, and later hopes to compete at the Outdoor Championships in June, in Arkansas. She was nominated by Saskatchewan Athletics.
- Odessa Bandits, Saskatchewan Broomball Team. The team won the 2009 Canadian Juvenile National Championships in Terrebonne, Quebec after having won the provincial championship in February. This is only the third win for Saskatchewan and the first for a team from Odessa. The team consists of 20 players: Drew Cochrane; Craig Wild; Christopher Wild; Josh Duncan; Mike Fuchs; Jarrod Seitz; Katlin Lang; Brad Schaeffer; Jeremy Seitz; Connor Hamilton; Mitchell Schlamp; Dylan Gonas; Reid Cochrane; Nathan Muchowski; Andrew Schlamp; Jonathon Kress; and Darren Kress. Along with coaches Chad Schneider and Curtis Anderson, the Bandits will be representing Saskatchewan at the 2010 Juvenile Nationals in Balgonie. The team was nominated by the Saskatchewan Broomball Association.
- Notre Dame Midget AAA Hounds, Saskatchewan Hockey Association Team. The team won gold in the Telus Cup National Midget AAA Championship in Selkirk, Manitoba. The Hounds consists of 18 players: Brent Benson; Scott Bolland; Trevor Cameron; Brad Cuzner; Lucas Froese; Benoit Gamache; Drew George; Carson Grolla; Zachary Hodder; Brody Hoffman; Nolan Huysmans; Daniel Lee; Patrick McGillis; Francis Menard; Jesse Craig Pauls; Brantley Schapansky; Justin Sefton; Blaine Thomson. The team was nominated by the Saskatchewan Hockey Association.
- Colin Mohr, 18, Regina. Mohr placed 1st in the Canadian Junior Racquetball Championships at the Regina Gold Gym. Seeded 7th, he ended up defeating #4 seed Conrad Cole of Belle Rivers Ontario 15-7, 16-14 in the final. Earlier in the month, he won the provincial 18 & under Boys' Singles Championship in Saskatoon. Mohr plans to compete in the World Junior Racquetball Championships in December 2009, held in the Dominican Republic. Mohr is a first-year engineering student and helps coach younger players in junior racquetball programs.
The recipient will be named next week. For more information contact Pat Rediger at (306) 780-9307 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For information regarding the Athlete of the Month Awards program, including previous nominees and recipients, visit www.sasksport.sk.ca/awards.php
May 12, 2009